What is a landing page?
Landing pages are sometimes referred to as lead capture pages. Generally this consists of a single web page which a potential customer will ‘land’ upon after clicking on an online advertisement or search engine optimised search result. These landing pages will also often be linked to from e-mail campaigns or social media listings and will usually display direct highly targeted sales copy which is a logical extension of the advert, link or search result.
The whole raison d’être or purpose of a landing page is to convert casual browsers or visitors to a website into sales or leads and as such, it must instantly engage the reader and encourage them to follow a clear path to action. A truly effective landing page will result in more sales and more leads or conversions.
At Dark Sea Web Design, we apply the best web practices to our layouts so that the most important information is instantly available and so that the reader is encouraged to act. We ca analyse the effectiveness of landing pages by the use of click through rates and conversion rates and by doing this we can determine the success of an advertisement.
- How landing pages may be used in conjunction with various traffic sources
1. Relevant traffic can be generated by a pay per click (PPC) search marketing campaign (ie. Google AdWords) to a variety of landing pages which have been optimized to correspond with the keywords used by the searcher.
2. Relevant traffic can be generated and sent from a banner ad or sponsorship graphic to a landing page specifically designed to address the needs of that particular target audience.
3. Visitors can be sent from an e-mail link to a landing page designed to encourage and hopefully confirm a purchase.
4. Relevant traffic can be generated from a blog post to a well crafted landing page pre-selling affiliate products.